Sunday, February 4, 2007

Mornings in Yelapa 3


We've been in Yelapa a month already; two more to go. I've wanted to post regularly in my blog, but the Internet connections here are primitive, to say the least. Painfully slow and infinitely frustrating when they're working, and often they don't work at all. Periodically we go into Puerto Vallarta, where you can find fast Internet connections on almost every block, and where you often find a fellow Yelapino sitting at the machine next to you, enjoying the splendid service as much as you.

January's cool, cloudy weather seems to have left us, finally, and we can perhaps look forward to normal, dry season weather now -- that is to say, beautiful weather, what we came here for. Keeping my fingers crossed. However, there's no doubt (just talk to the old expats, the natives, down here) that so-called climate change is a reality. The fishing has noticeably deteriorated in the three years we've been coming down here.

Anyway, my wife and I are keeping busy. I write on my novel every morning, and April practices Qgong. She's starting a class in it this Thursday morning, and I'm reading Thursday afternoon from my about-to-be-published memoir (the opening chapter, all I have with me in hard copy), thanks to my wife's proud promotion of her husband. We'll both use restaurants as our venues, April at the Pollo Bollo on a day it'll be closed, me at the Vortex after its 4 p.m. closing for the day. We'll put up posters around time later today.

So it goes here. We gringo residents offer our services and/or talents to one another when and how we can, often for a modest fee (April will ask for donations to teach Qigong; I, however, must read for gratis. What the hell).

So long for now from paradise.

1 comment:

Linda Crosfield said...

Hi Ross,

Good luck with your reading Thursday. That's exciting! Hope you can add pictures sometime. And you still have two months to go? You lucky dogs! Say hi to April.

Linda